Havelock Island Overview
Havelock Island is spread over a massive area of 113.93 square kilometres, Havelock Island is situated 57 km north-east of the capital city Port Blair. The island is named after a British General and comprises of Ritchie's Archipelago and a collection of five villages including Shyam Nagar, Vijay Nagar, Radha Nagar, Krishna Nagar and Govinda Nagar. It is one of the most developed islands when it comes to tourism, with a focus on eco - tourism.
The aspect of Havelock Island that draws so many tourists towards itself is its pristine natural beauty and serene atmosphere. A paradise of silky sand beaches, crystal blue water, rich corals and verdant forests, this place is a beautiful manifestation of the region's natural beauty. The southern coast of the island has the charming Radhanagar Beach, while the azure beauty of Vijayanagar Beach is situated towards the east of the island. Elephant beach and Kalapather beach are two other destinations where the sunrise and sunsets are absolutely divine. What's more, you can also indulge in a number of thrilling adventure activities and water sports, and when you're done with that, a long walk along the stretch of the sand is the perfect way to explore the island on your own.
Activities on Havelock Island
Beckon the adrenaline junkie in you with the myriad varieties of adventure activities that are available at the Havelock Island for the patrons to indulge in:-
1. Sea Walk: Sea Walk will give you an experience of an underwater walk, right on the seabed! This activity is available at Elephant Beach in Havelock Island .
3. Snorkelling: This activity allows you to gaze upon the the underwater life with the help of either water goggles or a screen that is attached to the bottom of a boat. Snorkeling is available at Elephant Beach.
4. Game Fishing : For fishing enthusiasts, the sea of the coasts of Havelock Island, in the Ritchie's archipelago offer some of the best catches. There are organizations that offer all kinds of fishing equipments and boats.
5. SWIMMING AND SNORKELING : One can enjoy swimming at the calm and clear waters of Radhanagar, Vijaynagar and Elephant beach. Snorkeling is available to view shallow areas of the coral reefs without going underwater with scuba equipment. Under the water, one can glide along the coral shelf and experience the strange and striking coral formations. One can see fish swim, nibbling at colorful algae, sea anemones and plankton right next to you.
6. ELEPHANT RIDE : Havelock Island is logged using elephants. The spectacle of elephants working in the forest and bathing and swimming in the nearby sea is a special attraction. The Elephant Training Camp managed by the Forest Department at Kalapathar open its doors to tourists occasionally. Please check it out
7. BIRD WATCHING : The Island is surrounded by emerald lagoons and tropical evergreen forests. In some stretches, mangrove swamps line the shores.It is a landscape of primeval splendor. White-headed mynas or the woodpecker with a white-barred black mantle and red crown, fulvous-breasted woodpecker are endemic to the island. The olive-backed sunbird and Andaman swallow are other endemic birds in the islands, which are a birdwatcher's paradise.
8. KAYAKING : Kayaking is also gaining popularity in the Havelock island. Safe and clam creeks offer an excellent scope for kayak lovers.
Beaches to visit
1 . Radhanagar Beach : Radhanagar Beach lies on the south coast of Havelock Island. It is about 12 kilometers from the Islands ferry pier. Radhanagar is a Grade A beach of outstanding quality. This beach is also rated as one of the best beaches in Asia by TIME Magazine. It has an overall length of two kilometers and an average width of 30 to 40 meters. The sand is white and very fine in grain. The beach has a gentle gradient of around 1:20 and continues out into the sea as a sandy bottom for over 100 meters.
2 . VIJAYNAGAR Beach
Vijaynagar Beach, Havelock, is a long stretch of sand on the east coast of the Island, punctuated occasionally by rock section. Most of the beach is lined by mahua trees, whose trunks grow along the ground for many feet before they begin to climb vertically. These trees have lent a distinct character to the sea front and provide shade, close to the water. Vijaynagar Beach is perfect for long walks along the sea. Dolphin Resort run by the Tourism Department and many other hotels are also located on this beach.
3 . ELEPHANT BEACH : This beach is another ideal site for snorkeling. It has a rich coral reef formation and amazing underwater marine life. One can reach Elephant beach by small cruise boat from Havelock Jetty in about 40 minutes. By road one can go up to the Forest Camp which is 8 Kms from the Jetty towards Radhanagar side and from there by walk to the Elephant beach which will take another 40 minutes. Private ferry operators organize tours to Elephant beach from Havelock.
4. KALAPATHER BEACH : This beautiful silver sandy beach located 12 km from Havelock jetty is slowly gaining visitors footfall, though proper facilities are yet to be established.
2. Scuba Diving: Scuba diving is a very popular activity in the whole of Andaman and is another important one in Havelock as well. In this, you are allowed to dive into the water with the proper breathing and diving gear. You can either opt for beginners or advanced course and can even get lessons beforehand.